NATIONAL PIZZA PARTY DAY
Each year on the third Friday in May, millions of pizza lovers across the nation join together in celebrating National Pizza Party Day. Join along by inviting friends and family to share a night of fun at your favorite pizzeria. You can also celebrate at home by making your own pizza, having it delivered or baking your favorite frozen variety.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some believe is the beginning of the “pizza”.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had it’s beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
Share photos of your pizza party on your favorite social media and include #PizzaPartyDay
NATIONAL PIZZA PARTY DAY HISTORY
Our research has not determined the origins of National Pizza Party Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.
May 15, 2015
May 20, 2016
May 19, 2017
May 18, 2018
May 17, 2019