NATIONAL BEANS ‘N’ FRANKS DAY
Joining in each year as part of National Hot Dog Month, July 13th is known as National Beans “N” Franks Day.
Beans “n” franks are also know to many as “beanie weenies”. Beanie weenies is a dish similar to pork ‘n’ beans however substituting hot dogs for the pork.
- Dating back to the civil war, one of the very first canned “convenience foods” emerging in the United States was baked beans.
- The originator of the idea to combine hot dogs with baked beans is unknown.
- The name Beanie Weenies is owned by Van Camp’s.
- Other brands are sold under alternative names such as Franks & Beans.
- Typical ingredients include: baked beans, skinless hot dogs, brown sugar, onion, mustard, BBQ sauce and spices.
- There are a variety of beans ‘n’ franks” recipes found around the world.
Here is a “tried and true” recipe for you to try as you celebrate National Beans ‘N’ Franks Day. Post on social media using #BeansNFranksDayDay to encourage others to join in paying it forward.
Our research was unable to find the creator of National Beans ‘N’ Franks Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.